Thursday, February 12, 2009

Coupon organizing

Over the last year or so, I have tried several ways of keeping track of my coupons so I can quickly go through the ads of the stores I shop at and get a list together without having to search endlessly for "that one coupon."

I finally found a way that I think will work great. I wish I could take complete credit for this idea, but I am sure I am not the first to come up with it. I thought of it because this is what I did with all my handwritten recipes...

I took an old photo album and put my clipped coupons in the slots. If I have multiples of one particular brand, I put them all together, closest expiration date first. I have them sort of categorized...breakfast foods, dinners, cleaning supplies, etc, but not too crazy as far as that goes.

This way, all I have to do is flip through the pages and can clearly see each coupon I have! I think this will be a huge time saver.

Update: I used this "system" for the first time today while getting my grocery list together and it was SO easy! If you are looking for a way to keep track of things like this, it is definitely worth trying. It took me less than 5 minutes to get it all together...normally about 15 or more depending on the extent of my list.

3 comments:

Me+3 said...

Just a note to add. On an "average" week, I save about $20 overall on my grocery bill by buying by what is on sale and using coupons, but this week, thanks to my new organizing technique (making it SO much easier to see what coupons I have), I went from a grocery bill of $87 to $26. Free items included dog food and a bag of dog treats, which comes in handy when you have 4 of those furry things!

Rose said...

I've tried this before. I used the baseball card pages since there was room for more. It ended up taking a LOT of time to organize for me. :P I'm glad it works for you though!! I hope it continues to work well.

Me+3 said...

Yeah, it didn't take me long to get together at all, but I had mine pretty well organized to begin with, it was more just sticking them in the slots. Know what really stinks? The past 2 weeks, I have gotten the 3 papers I normall get, and NONE of them have had any coupons in them at all even though they were supposed to. Hmmmmm....
This week there were some, but not nearly as many as normal.
It took me about 5 minutes to cut the ones out that I'll use and another 2 minutes or so to stick them in, and it took me about 10 minutes to go through the Meijer ad the other day to make my list and get the coupons together...not bad, I don't think! But...everyone has to use what works best for them.