Saturday, May 23, 2009

Recipe Alert!

I am always on the look out for healthy, yummy recipes that won't make me pork out if I happen to accidentally eat more than 1, so I was totally geeked when I found this recipe for cookies that contains no added sugar, no extra fats, and doesn't even require baking! And bonus....the kids, Jeremy, and I liked them a lot!
These suckers have 5 grams of fiber PER COOKIE, and are fun to make with the kids, although I must warn you 1) make sure you get pitted dates because I didn't, and it was horrible having to pit each and every one of them 2) The recipe only makes 4 cookies per batch, so if you want more or want them for the week, double, triple, quadruple, whatever, the recipe 3) Dates are a bitch to put in the blender/food processor: They stick like mad!

12 PITTED dates
1/3 cup oatmeal (I used quick cook oats, but I think steel cut or old fashioned would work as well, probably just have a different texture)
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Process the dates in a blender or food processor until they are really sticky and mushed up together.
In a bowl, mix them with the peanut butter and oats. I was not able to use a spoon because the dates were so sticky, so hands work really well to mix here.
Form into cookies.

You can keep these in the fridge for up to 5 days.

1 comment:

Katie, Kevin and kids said...

Seriously? What an interesting recipe. I might have to give it a try...but I'd hardly call them cookies;) Way to go on the 3 pound!!